Thursday, November 6, 2008

Speech at William Jessup University, May 2008

On May, 16th, 2008, I was given the pleasure of being able to speak during William Jessup University's Baccalaureate (a special Chapel service the night before the graduation commencement). I was told there were about 600 people in attendance, which is much larger than any group I have ever spoken to. The following writing is what I prepared for the speech. When reading, please understand that this was written as a speech outline, not a formal essay. That means there will be some odd sentence structure and possible rough transitions. I use this as the base and then adlib the rest. During the speech, some of the details in this were ommitted, and I added a great deal more.

When I was first approached about doing this speech, I must admit to you that I was worried about what I was suppose to talk about. I was told to speak a little bit about myself… to tell something of "my story", my experiences here at school, and what God has done in my life while at William Jessup. On the face of it, that seemed like a perfectly reasonable speech topic…

But then I realized something. Something that actually caused me to panic a little bit… I realized that I'm a pretty boring guy… A pretty run of the mill, normal, unexceptional, average guy.
Seriously. Let me explain for a second…

I don't have a really cool or fascinating job… I don't make a lot of money… Nor do I have a position of great power….I have never planted a church, lead a church or even a large ministry… I have traveled a little bit in my life… but I don't have any those grandiose tales about climbing Mt Everest, backpacking across Europe, making a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, or anything like that to inspire and motivate you today…

And here's one more fact… it took me EIGHT years, and FOUR, count them, four different colleges to earn this Bachelors!… Not the sort of guy most people would consider the poster boy for higher education.

Yet, for some reason, this wonderful institution thought I would be appropriate as a speaker today. (Guess I fooled somebody here).
Then I realized something. I realized that maybe that's what I'm suppose to talk about. Maybe, just maybe, it is my normality, my un-exceptional-ism (if that is even a real word) that is the point and the reason I am here. Because, it is through this ordinariness that God's glory can shine through more clearly. Through my limitations, God's greatness is shown.

Paul speaks of this idea in 1 Corinthians…
Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

So I stand here today, not to boast of anything I have done, but to boast in the Lord. Because it is definitely only because of Him that I have been given this opportunity.

I've learned over the years that God uses all sorts of people to accomplish His desires. Sometimes they are people of power, ability and prestige. But not always. Actually, often times they are the types of people we meet everyday… Computer Programmers, Fireman, school administrators, County workers, Nordstrom employees, Basketball coaches, Salesmen, the guy drinking coffee at Starbucks… these are the people God uses to spread His message and His love.
A little over three years ago, when I was 29 years old God placed it on my heart to attend William Jessup… My wife had just given birth to our forth child… I was working full time, trying to support our expanded family on my single income… and I was stumbling my way through my first leadership role in ministry. Personally, I felt that I was a pretty busy guy. I didn't feel like I had a lot of spare time or money. But someone else, it seems, had other ideas…

My initial thought was… Are you kidding me!? What sort of sick joke is this? ME? Bible College? No way. I'm too busy, I don't have any money, AND, I'm a very good student. I am a horrible procrastinator, and I can be very, very lazy. Did I mention my track record with college? I had already gone to three schools and didn't finish!

But God kept working on me. Primarily, He worked through a group of friends who encouraged me, motivated me and pushed me to follow what I felt was God's will. In fact, if it weren't for their affirmation, for the way that God worked through these men, I'm not sure if I would not be up here today. Every time I would doubt myself, they were there to build me up. Every time I thought it was impossible, they were there to remind me that God would make it possible…. If I would let Him.

As I leave this university, I do so with a deeper understanding of God, and an improved walk with Christ. I also leave with a brand new appreciation of how each of has a role in God's plan. How each of us, no matter what limitations we feel we have or shortcomings we perceive to possess, God can use us. In fact, I think that He wants to use us. Just as he has used my friends, the way he has used the professors and administrators in this school, and especially they way He has used my fellow classmates. It is through these relationships, with all these various people, that I have grown… that I have been stretched, and reshaped. I feel blessed and extremely grateful that each of these people allowed themselves to be used for God… and I pray that I may do the same… even if I am just a boring, regular guy.

I want to thank you for this opportunity to speak today. It is an honor I never imagined. It certainly goes to show that through God, anything is possible. Again, Thank you, and

Congratulations to everyone. God Bless you.

No comments: